Updated: A Freshman Perspective on The New Schedule

Yet another schedule to follow for Hybrid/Virtual learning

Red/White Cohort Schedule for Spring 2021

Michael Baffour-Awuah, Reporter

Writer’s Update: There have been many modifications to the schedule this Spring, and the latest version for Hybrid/Virtual contains changes to the class periods, hybrid cohorts, Gopher Blocks, and lunchtime.

Hybrid learning started on March 1st for elementary students and with that, the high school schedule has reverted back to its old start and end times.

Personally, the one-hour early start time of 7:30 a.m. has been the biggest adjustment. I don’t like these early mornings, however, I do feel like the schedule flows a bit better. Plus, it makes me stick to a schedule.

Key changes:

Cohorts: Students who chose to attend in-person were placed in either a red or white cohort, meaning they attend either Monday/Tuesday or Thursday/Friday weekly.

Lunch: With a 30-minute time period between the 2nd and 3rd periods, it can be hard to adapt to this change. Personally, I don’t prefer this change. Hybrid students eat lunch in their 3rd period classes.

Dismissal: Now school ends at 2:18 p.m. Since school starts earlier than it used to of course the ending has to change too. I really like this change; I can get more time to complete work and that helps to form my schedule.

Well, those are my opinions on this new schedule. I want to know what you all think about this new schedule. Answer the student poll or submit a comment to The Burrow using the comment form below.

Original article appears below —

Hot topic: The new schedule. What’s everyone’s opinion on it?

As a freshman in GBHS, I might have a different perspective than you but that’s okay. Let’s break it down.

Start Time:
The Start Time is exactly the same so no worries about that.

Class Time:
Class Time actually is now 50 minutes instead of 45 minutes. That is a good improvement. More class time for content and work in general.
For me personally, I really like the new class time. I’ve always thought that 45 minutes was ok but that it would be cool for there to be more time. More Time = More Learning. If I’m being honest I haven’t really felt the extra time but I’m sure that as the schedule continues, I will.

Right when I heard of the new schedule, I started to memorize it. A great way to remember when to go to class is to make alarms. By making alarms, you can make sure you’re in the right class at the right time.

General Class Periods – then add on 20 minutes for small group time:
1st Period: 8:30 to 9:20 am
2nd Period 9:50 to 10:40 am
3rd Period 12:50 to 1:40 pm
4th Period 2:05 to 2:55 pm

Small-Group Time:
A 20-minute period where right after any class, your teacher can choose to have you stay to complete missing assignments or homework. And work in groups to complete things.
I have only experienced small groups a few times. There are 3 different ways I’ve seen it being used: Breakout rooms, extra help, or missing assignments.
Breakout Rooms: Right at the end of the class a teacher will put people into Breakout rooms. Each group has something to do. My one experience in this is that I was put into a group where all of us had no missing assignments, and we had to work on an upcoming assignment. I feel like this is a good use of a breakout room but I do wish that communication was used more in this case.

Extra Help: Teachers will do a poll at the end of class. Based on that poll, the teacher will ask you to say for a small group. You can also choose to stay in a small group if you need help. I really like this way of using small groups. No complaints. I have talked to people in the chat in these breakout rooms. I really do like it when there is communication between the people in the chat and I feel like it is great to help each other out and gain help from the teacher.

Missing Assignments:
Pretty self-explanatory. If you have missing assignments prior to the class you can be asked to stay for small group time. No complaints here also.
1st: 9:20 to 9:40
2nd: 10:40 to 11:00
3rd: 1:40 to 2:00
4th: 2:55 to 3:15

Lunch:
Lunch is now from 11:30 to 12:50. The break between the 2nd period and 3rd period is shorter as that 3rd period start time moves to 12:50. During this break, the school system distributes free meals from several school buildings including GBHS.

Gopher Blocks:
Replacing the old red and/or white blocks, the new all-encompassing Gopher Blocks occur on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and now on Friday. Students should check the teacher matrix for the new Gopher Blocks for their current clubs or get help from teachers:
Tuesday and Friday: 11:05 to 11:30 am
Wednesday Gopher Block A:9:05 to 9:30 am
Gopher Block B:9:45 to 10:20 am
Gopher Block C:10:25 to 11:00 am

I do have many things to say about Gopher Blocks. I do like the previous system of Extra Help and Clubs more than this one. I do understand where the thought came from and how this schedule was put together but the club time is shorter and at different times so it was hard to get used to. Extra help is not really putting in one slot but instead throughout the day. I see that as a negative.

Community Wellness:
Community Wellness is now only on Monday and Wednesday. On Mondays, it begins from 11:05 am to 11:30 am. Community Wellness on Wednesdays are from 8:30 am to 9:00 am. Since Community Wellness is not on Fridays anymore, there is Gopher Block on Fridays from 11:05 to 11:30 just like on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I also don’t like this change. I feel like Community Wellness really worked over three days; only two days of 30 minutes each is less preferred due to shortened time and a different time slot.

Overall, there are benefits for students: Small Group time right after class, Gopher Blocks, and more class time. However, it may be hard to get accustomed to the new schedule and get used to it. That is perfectly fine. Your teachers are there to help you and get used to the schedule and we will eventually be used to it as a result.

Suggestions: Alarms, Alarms, Alarms. Alarms are a great way to adjust to the new times and place of classes in the new schedule. Have a phone, clock, or something with the time on it. Make sure that you know the time at all times to make sure you get to your classes.

So what’s your opinion? What do you guys think about it? Answer the poll!
Link to the new schedule: