Get Informed: Black History Month

28 Days to Get Enlightened

Eliana Amoh, Minority Beat Reporter

February is a month that is not acknowledged enough. Why? February is the month in which we acknowledge, celebrate, and educate about the history of African Americans. This event was not always celebrated for a month though.

In September 1915, Carter G. Woodson Jesse E. Moorland founded the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History (ASNLH). The mission of the ASNLH is to promote, research, preserve, interpret and disseminate information about Black life, history and culture to the global community. Now the group is known as the Association for the Study of African American Life and History (ASALH) but their mission still stays the same. They promoted Negro History week in 1926 during the second week of February. The second week of February was a time when communities were already honoring the lives of Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass so he felt that establishing Negro History week during that period was a great opportunity. This week encouraged the public to recognize Black History. After a couple of decades, citizens around the country began to partake in the celebration of Negro History Week.

The civil rights movement and the increased advocacy for African Americans in the 1960s encouraged many college campuses to lengthen the event from just a week to a month. That is what started the implementation of Black History Month. President General Ford, the 38th president, officially established Black History Month in 1976 stating “seize the opportunity to honor the too-often neglected accomplishments of black Americans in every area of endeavor throughout our history.” Today, we are called to continue the tradition of examining Black History.

There are so many ways to celebrate this month (evening during a pandemic) including: donating to a Black organization, shopping from Black businesses, reading books by Black authors, cooking a soul food meal, and watching documentaries that follow African American History. Glen Burnie High School also has many opportunities such as: enrolling in the African American History course, sharing your story with the yearbook, joining Equity Club, and participating in Ms. Williams’s segment in the morning announcements titled “Cultural Voices.”

Sources:
https://www.history.com/topics/black-history/black-history-month

Our History

Feb. 7, 1926: Carter G. Woodson Launched Negro History Week

https://africanamericanhistorymonth.gov/about/

28 Ways to Celebrate Black History Month