Coach Lemon to Lead Gopher Nation Football Team

Former wide receiver for Houston Texans

Hunter Hardesty, Editor

HOUSTON, TX – AUGUST 16: Wide receiver Alec Lemon #15 of the Houston Texans catches a pass during a preseason game against the Atlanta Falcons at Reliant Stadium on August 16, 2014 in Houston, Texas. (Photo by Bob Levey/Getty Images) (Getty Images)

As we conclude the end of the 2019-2020 school year, many of us are excited for the fun summer activities, first jobs, and driver licenses. But, the 2020-2021 school year and fall sports are coming right around the corner.  While we are in the midst of online learning due to COVID-19, there’s been some changes to the GBHS athletics coaching staff as plans form for next year.

Let’s get to know about Alec Lemon, better known as Coach Lemon, as the new Varsity Football Head Coach at GBHS. This is Coach Lemon’s first year at GBHS and many of the students already know him as their gym teacher. If you don’t know Coach Lemon, below will be some answers about his personal life, football experience, and plans for the upcoming season.

1.) Question: What Football Experience do you have (College/Pro)?

Answer: “I played college at Syracuse University where we went to two Bowl Games and along the way broke a couple of school records at Wide Receiver. In the NFL I signed with the Houston Texans in 2013 and

Frank Ordonez for The Post-Standard

released the following year during training camp, which then the Baltimore Ravens signed me to their practice squad towards the tail end of the season.  My final go was in the CFL with the Saskatchewan Roughriders.”

2.) Question: Have you coached any other high school football team?

Collegiate Images via Getty Imag
SYRACUSE, NY – MARCH 03: Alec Lemon #15 of the Syracuse Orange poses for a portrait on March 3, 2011 at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, New York. (Photo by Syracuse/Collegiate Images via Getty Images)

Answer: “I have coached at Arundel High School for 3 years.”

3.) What do you prefer to be called as?

Answer: “Coach Lemon.”

4.) What plans do you have for the upcoming season?

Answer: “This upcoming season the plan is to change the program from top to bottom with that being said it starts with the team and players mentality. I want to instill a winning/competitive attitude with my players where losing is never in our mind and we go out day in day out to win no matter what it is. That is on and off the field as well. We want our players to step into every challenge of football and life with a great chance of winning.”

5.) Question: Are there important dates for Football Athletes for the upcoming season?

Answer: “As of right now the only important date is August 12 the first day of tryouts. As things hopefully clear up more we will get details on what we can and can’t do during the summer pertaining to summer workouts.”

6.) Question: What do you like about Glen Burnie High School?

Answer:  “I like the atmosphere at GBHS! You can feel that everyone from top to bottom is ready and trying to make a positive change in the school from the classrooms to the fields.”

7.) Question: Why do you believe you are the right fit for Head Coach of Glen Burnie Football?

Answer:  “I think I am the right fit because I am passionate about this sport that has lead me to many experiences. I have been on teams that were at the bottom of their league and I was apart of the group that turned the program back to where it should be. I have been on bad teams but also have been on good teams so I know what it takes to win and the type of commitment is needed to reach the goals you set out to reach. Also playing at every level you can possibly play at I have learned from the best at the highest level so I have a good football background. But ultimately I have built a good relationship with the kids already with being in the building, so if we can trust and believe in each other than the sky is limit for the kids and this team.”

8.) Question: Anything you want to say to your athletes for this upcoming season?

Answer: “One message I would like to say to the athletes is to remember that when they are out there playing between those lines you aren’t playing for yourself or your coaches but you are playing for the teammate lined up next to you. And if you can set aside your differences and respect each other and fight for each other every play then you will become a success team but even better a success person through life.”

9.) Question: How were you inspired by your coaches as a player?

Answer: “My coaches always pushed me to my fullest potential knowing what I had and could give on the field. But with that they taught me the game of life and how to be a great teammate and person as I grew up. It is never about the individual accomplishments, you will always remember those bonding memories you had with your teammates which lead the team to success or a lifetime friendship with a teammate.”

10.) Question: What player did you idolize growing up and do you idolize any football players today?

Answer:  “Growing up I idolized Andre Johnson because he played the game the right way. He was a great player on the field, never heard about off-field issues, gave back to his community, and was a genuine person. Now I just look up to coaches and mentors; the two that stand out [include] my brother, Brandon Lemon, and Rob Moore. These two have taught me so much about myself and how to become a better man on and off the field. I wouldn’t be in the situation I am today without them.”

Well hopefully after reading this, you know a little more about the new football coach here at GBHS and are just as excited as me to watch the football program go in the right direction from here on out.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2020/04/former-syracuse-wr-alec-lemon-named-head-coach-at-maryland-high-school.html