Winter Sports Athletes and Coach Recognized

Hunter Hardesty, Editor

Due to COVID-19, spring sports have been halted. But, a few athletes and coaches have been recognized due to their hard work during the Winter season. Any sport is challenging and during school, athletes must balance their sport but also maintain good grades in the classroom.

Coach Mason

Coach Mason, in his second year as the Varsity Girls Basketball Coach has been awarded Coach of the Year for Girls Basketball in Anne Arundel County. After a tough first year as coach in the 2018-2019 school year, he and his team completed one of the best seasons the Girls Basketball team has had in years. Through a change in some strategy and the use of team building activities, the team had a great season. This season, Coach Mason led the team to a 12-9 season. Hopefully the team is on the way up from here, with Coach Mason’s leadership.

Amourie Porter

Amourie Porter, a freshman guard helped the Girls Basketball team have one of the best seasons the team has had in years. It didn’t take her long to get used to the Varsity level as she racked up a total of 369 points throughout the season and 17.5 points per game. Her effort and skill turned around the team and has gave the team and students something to look forward to in the upcoming seasons.

Rachel Florio

Rachel Florio, a senior swimmer, and Florida Atlantic University commit defended her 500-yard freestyle title at the County Championships. She got a time of (5:19.64) and represented her school well. In addition to being a two-time County Champion in the 500-yard freestyle, she was the 2017-2018 Girls Swimmer of the Year in Anne Arundel County to add to her countless number of individual victories throughout her three swim seasons at Glen Burnie High School.