Gopher Named National Merit Scholarship Winner

One of Glen Burnie very own makes it to semifinalists.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Megan Weber, Staff Reporter

Every year, there is a competition in which students go head to head in order to obtain a scholarship. This is called the National Merit Scholarship, which rewards the top student with an admission to the school of their wishes and dreams! These scholarships are single-payment scholarships which are awarded by state.

To be eligible, you must have taken the PSAT in October of your junior year. Getting recognition is a big deal, as this reward is based on how well a student did on their PSAT compared to other students who took the test in their state. In Maryland, there are four students that have been selected as semifinalists, coming from three of AACPS’ high schools.

The local semifinalists are David Donze from Broadneck High, Allison Chang and Callista Fuhrmann from Severna Park High, and Anagh Astavans from our own very school of Glen Burnie.

Anagh is a dedicated student, as seen by his perfect PSAT score, along with his high ACT score. He states that studying and practicing are two essential ways to prepare for tests that end up being super beneficial. When taking any test,  Anagh suggests practicing online, as well as reading textbooks, and studying the test format and questions.

He claims that knowing a lot about the test is extremely helpful. In his opinion, “you can never have enough practice.” Anagh tries to do his best in school, as he truly values education, and thoroughly believes that it will be important for his future. In terms of his future, he wants to go to John Hopkins University and aspires to become a surgeon.

As this recognition is one of his biggest academic achievements, Anagh is proud of himself and is feeling confident. He hopes that he will be able to get a scholarship, and he wants to let other students know that it is definitely worth practicing for the PSAT and SAT.

Reporters note: The moral of this story is hard work truly pays off. Anagh is just one example of how powerful our school can be academically. Don’t take his advice for granted. Always put in your best effort. Just remember, you could one day be in this position, too!