National Honor Society Focuses on Serving Others

Hunter Hardesty, Reporter

Glen Burnie High School opens up many doors filled with endless amounts of opportunities for students to fulfill their potential. A very popular one here is the National Honor Society (NHS), a student organization that operates under the four pillars of Character, Scholarship, Service, and Leadership. If you are passionate about these four pillars or need help finding your purpose then this is the club for you.

NHS members focus on service and acts of kindness at school and the community, as well as doing actions that can maintain and reach their personal goals.

The club is run by Ms. Angelo, a Social Studies teacher at GBHS, with around 110 students currently in the club. Ms. Angelo is a kind and determined leader that wants to do great things with the students in the club. She said, “many of my students take Advanced Placement (AP) classes– which I teach– so I love continuing relationships with those students. I also love the work this club does within its school and community.”

NHS applications are available to all students in 10th, 11th and 12th grade that are academically eligible; in order to get an application you must have a 3.5 GPA and have received no referrals. To start an application students can get the paperwork from Ms. Angelo.

In addition the application requires two teacher recommendations, one recommendation from an adult outside of school and family, and an essay that explains why you deserve to be accepted into this prestigious group. In addition, the application requires Sophomores to have 25 hours of community service and Juniors and Seniors to have 30 hours of community service each year. A student must obtain 10 hours in each community, school, and personal volunteer work.

Wondering where can you find community service? There are plenty of local churches and businesses that conduct food pantries and other events for the less fortunate in our area. Hannah Gartner, the Parliamentarian in the club said, “ I do my community service at Maryland Therapeutic Riding, which is a program which uses the healing power of horses to improve the life of children, adults, active duty military, and veterans with special needs.” The NHS also offers opportunities for service hours that can be done with the club during or outside of school.

Meetings are on the third Tuesday of every month for anything from communicating about service ideas to even doing service projects inside or outside of school. This is an extremely fun club that you can participate in with your friends to make yourself feel good while also making someone else’s day. Recent Sophomore inductee Fernando Alvarado said, “it is a great opportunity to do good.”

Speculating on what the National Honor Society really does? Well inside GBHS, the NHS is working on a school wide tutoring program and also serves snacks and drinks on “coffee carts” to reward the hard working teachers and staff at the school. There are also service projects outside of school, like helping as a group at food pantries and homeless shelters.

While this club is a great after school activity to participate in if you want to help others, membership can also lead to scholarship opportunities. The NHS is a national program that all colleges are recognize. Colleges notice that students in this club have the drive to become a member of a prestigious and service-oriented club and shows their hard working character; a good character and determination will look good on your resume and lead to future opportunities. Nationwide, the NHS even offers its own scholarship to senior members worth as much as $25,000.

So plan now if you want to join the National Honor Society next school year and keep your grades above a 3.5 GPA

Principal McGuire, Ms. Angelo, and students of NHS at the induction ceremony this year.

. See Ms. Angelo in M121 if you have any questions.