The Burrow

Announcements 2/12

MaryBeth Stup, Editor

From Ms. Blessing:  1/18-2/15

Student vs. Faculty

Volleyball Game

Friday, February 16, 2018 – 4th Period

SET, SPIKE, PASS!

Requirements to attend:

• Students who earn perfect attendance from, 1/16 – 2/14 will be given a pass to attend as a spectator for the event.  Perfect attendance requires no absences, no tardies, no early dismissals. This is for PERFECT ATTENDANCE!
  • OR Students who earn a PBR for the 2nd MP will be given a pass to attend as a spectator for the event.
  • Students who attend MUST have NO REFERRALS

Want to play…

• Students who wish to play in the event CANNOT be volleyball players on Varsity or JV teams.  Students need to have outstanding attendance, no referrals and CANNOT have any D’s or E’s on their 2nd MP report card.
  • Students on the Varsity or JV Volleyball team that would like to serve as faculty or student team coach should see Ms. Blessing.

From Mr. Pinder:  2/6-2/28

Attention Students: Tri M Music Honor Society will be sponsoring a Coffee House on March 14th from 3 to 5 pm.  We are looking for singers, dancers, poets, and comedians to perform.  In order to perform, your act must be pre-approved.  Auditions will be on Wednesday, February 28th after school in Room A-102.  If you have any questions, see Mr. Pinder.

From Ms. Addison:  2/6-2/12

Attention Seniors:

• Your 2nd fundraiser begins on 2/8 and ends on 2/21. This will benefit your Senior Prom.
  • If you have NOT purchased your Cap & Gown, please see Mrs. Addison (I-107B) ASAP to order your Cap & Gown. The price is still $42.40.

From Mr. Newbury: 2/6-2/13

Air Force is proud to bring their presentation on Career and Educational opportunities that the Air Force has to offer.  The presentation will be Wednesday Feb 14th.  Sign up in the Guidance Department or contact our Guidance Counselor, Mr. Newbury.  Aim High!  Air Force.

From Ms. Voll:  2/8-2/14

The Rolling Gophers need you!

Unified Bocce is a fun game with no running but lots of team spirit. We practice 2 days a week leaving you time for other things. Coach Voll even does cartwheels when we win!

If you need more info or just want to find how Bocce is played, there will be a meeting for Unified Bocce on Wednesday February 14th at 2:30 in Coach Voll’s room B210.

AND

CONGRATULATIONS to the following bowlers for being invited to bowl in the End of Season Invitational on February 16 at Greenway:

Athletes: Andrew Acton, Noah Hileman, Mikey O’Brien, Keith Rebstock

Partners: Brandon Baublitz, Alex Bonnell, Wyatt Griffith, Branden McGuire

Come cheer on the Rolling Gophers

From Ms. Pascoe:  1/12:

This week is Tobacco free teens week.  Did you know…IN THE US, 540,000 PEOPLE DIE A TOBACCO-RELATED DEATH EVERY YEAR? We are asking for students and teachers to wear our school colors in support of being tobacco free this Wednesday, February 14th. There is no safe level of exposure to environmental tobacco smoke. If you have parents, relatives or friends who smoke, ask them not to smoke indoors or in the car, even if the windows are open, smoke can still get trapped inside. Join us in the Cafeteria during your lunch to sign a smoking stinks pledge, and learn more about the harmful effects of tobacco.

From Mr. Lewis:  2/7-2/28

Celebrate Black History Month by participating in GBHS Black Saga Trivia.

Black history is American history—and it should be taught year-round. But Black History Month offers a great opportunity to focus attention on the history and contributions of African Americans. Questions will be read during the morning announcements on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays of each week throughout the month of February. Students will have the opportunity to provide their answer to the question of the day in the media center. On a post-it, students are to include their first and last name, 1A teacher’s name and the answer to the question. Winners will be announced on Friday of each week with a chance to win a prize.

Monday, February 12, 2018/B

1. She made at least 19 trips into the South and helped an estimated 300

enslaved Black people escape to freedom–including her parents and several

of her brothers and sisters. She, herself, had escaped from slavery

in Maryland in 1849. Slaveholders had a $40,000 reward for her capture.

She was known as “Moses of her people.” She lived for eight

years in St. Catharines in Canada and then moved along with her parents

to a home in Auburn, New York where she lived until she died at

96 years of age. Name her.