The Burrow

Announcements 2/9

MaryBeth Stup, Editor

From Ms. Blessing:  1/18-2/15

Student vs. Faculty

Volleyball Game

Friday, February 16, 2018 – 4th Period

SET, SPIKE, PASS!

Requirements to attend:

• Students who earn perfect attendance from, 1/16 – 2/14 will be given a pass to attend as a spectator for the event.  Perfect attendance requires no absences, no tardies, no early dismissals. This is for PERFECT ATTENDANCE!
  • OR Students who earn a PBR for the 2nd MP will be given a pass to attend as a spectator for the event.
  • Students who attend MUST have NO REFERRALS

Want to play…

• Students who wish to play in the event CANNOT be volleyball players on Varsity or JV teams.  Students need to have outstanding attendance, no referrals and CANNOT have any D’s or E’s on their 2nd MP report card.
  • Students on the Varsity or JV Volleyball team that would like to serve as faculty or student team coach should see Ms. Blessing.

From Mr. Pinder:  2/6-2/28

Attention Students: Tri M Music Honor Society will be sponsoring a Coffee House on March 14th from 3 to 5 pm.  We are looking for singers, dancers, poets, and comedians to perform.  In order to perform, your act must be pre-approved.  Auditions will be on Wednesday, February 28th after school in Room A-102.  If you have any questions, see Mr. Pinder.

From Ms. Addison:  2/6-2/12

Attention Seniors:

• We will be having our class meeting on 2/8 at 10am in the Auditorium
  • Your 2nd fundraiser begins on 2/8 and ends on 2/21. This will benefit your Senior Prom.
  • If you have NOT purchased your Cap & Gown, please see Mrs. Addison (I-107B) ASAP to order your Cap & Gown. The price is still $42.40.

From Mr. Newbury: 2/6-2/13

Air Force is proud to bring their presentation on Career and Educational opportunities that the Air Force has to offer.  The presentation will be Wednesday Feb 14th.  Sign up in the Guidance Department or contact our Guidance Counselor, Mr. Newbury.  Aim High!  Air Force.

From Mr. Terrence:  2/8-2/9

STUDENTS:  TWILIGHT SCHOOL IS COMING!

Registration for Twilight School is NEXT WEEK, Monday through Friday, from 3-6 PM, in the Main Lobby of Administration.  Classes begin on February 21st. Pick up a flyer now in guidance, the main office or in O204.  Freshmen, repeater freshmen, and graduating seniors can take courses such as English 9, Biology, U.S. History, U.S. Government, Algebra 1 and 2, Art, Spanish 1 and Geometry.  Classes cost only $85 and are from 2:25 to 3:55, twice a week.  Twilight School has shorter classes than night school, is much cheaper, and gets out in time to still have fun or go to work.  Sign up for classes now by talking to your Guidance Counselor or seeing Mr. Terrence in O204. Get your credits back and get back on track in Twilight School!

From Ms. Voll:  2/8-2/14

The Rolling Gophers need you!

Unified Bocce is a fun game with no running but lots of team spirit. We practice 2 days a week leaving you time for other things. Coach Voll even does cartwheels when we win!

If you need more info or just want to find how Bocce is played, there will be a meeting for Unified Bocce on Wednesday February 14th at 2:30 in Coach Voll’s room B210.

From Mr. Lewis:  2/7-2/28

Celebrate Black History Month by participating in GBHS Black Saga Trivia.

Black history is American history—and it should be taught year-round. But Black History Month offers a great opportunity to focus attention on the history and contributions of African Americans. Questions will be read during the morning announcements on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays of each week throughout the month of February. Students will have the opportunity to provide their answer to the question of the day in the media center. On a post-it, students are to include their first and last name, 1A teacher’s name and the answer to the question. Winners will be announced on Friday of each week with a chance to win a prize.

Today’s Trivia:

1. For 50 years before the Civil War, more than a dozen slave traders,

including the leading traders–Austin Woolfolk and Hope H. Slatter,

operated from storefronts along Pratt Street to Fells Point in this city.

These traders offered to house and feed enslaved Africans and to purchase

enslaved black persons sold at the New Orleans market. Name the city.

From Ms. Jones: 2/9

Congratulations to our school National History Day winners- Eniola Adeleke, Bryleigh Augustin, Everado Aguilera, Leonardo Zavala, Justin Gilbert, Natasha Sherlock, Michael Hanewich, Jackson Hall, Anagh Astavans, Erin Shields, Messiah Rogers, Sauragh Chapagain, Ahamed Chowdury, Natalie Holland, Eva Cornwell, Isabella Coady and Abigail Henson. These students will represent GBHS at the Anne Arundel County National History Day Competition. Awesome job and good luck!

We’d also like to congratulate the winners of our special project categories- Janiya Mosley, Marilyn Gutierraz, Emiley Smith, Alyssa Moyes and Carley Yeager.

Lastly, this is a special shout-out to Savannah Knight for winning the evening’s Student’s Choice Award and JaNyah Brown for winning the Parent’s choice award.

9th graders- Your US History teachers are SO proud of the hard work you put into your NHD projects. Keep up the good work!

From Ms. Voll:  2/9

Congratulations to the Unified Bowling team! They finished 3rd in their division! They had an awesome team average of 137!

Come cheer them on today at Severna Park lanes at 3:30 for the County Championship!!

GO ROLLING GOPHERS!