The Burrow

Amazon Seeks a New Home

Cristian Garcia, Staff Writer

Tech giant Amazon is seeking a new location to build its second headquarters: a prospect that had many cities begging for consideration.

238 locations were considered from the start. Many cities did not make the first round of cuts despite shameless groveling from their leaders. A Kansas City, Missouri Mayor wrote over 1,000 reviews on Amazon’s website. Even Detroit Michigan tried to make a deal with the popular company, by making a video and a 242-page proposal to improving its city and offering new jobs to its people, as well as planning to launch a $120 million initiative to expand its tech workforce. Many other states tried to bring Amazon to their state but to no avail. On obtaining reports of some of the reactions of not being selected to be the top twenty finalists for Amazon’s headquarters, Kansas City Mayor Sly James, who made a total of about 1,000 reviews on Amazon’s products, found that his attempt did not get him to the finals. “Something like Amazon doesn’t come free,” and concluded with “There’s a cost. I think everyone was looking at the benefits and not the cost.”

The privileged finalists include New York City, Newark, Philadelphia, Montgomery county, Northern Virginia, Washington D.C, Boston, Atlanta, Miami, Nashville Tennessee, Chicago, Indianapolis, Denver, Dallas Texas, Atlanta, and Los Angeles. There was only one place outside the country, which was Toronto.

Upon the shock by many of the cities having been picked, many reiterated their reasons for why Amazon should pick them. An example of this was Ras Baraka, mayor of Newark, saying that “A tremendous social and economic impact on this city, state and region by coming to Newark,” would hopefully be in the future.

Many of the criteria that was stated at the start of Amazon’s search included that there be a metropolitan population greater than one million and the ability to attract and keep strong technical talent. The company’s process of pin pointing the last twenty finalists, included economists, human resources managers and executives who oversaw real estate. Amazon’s way of making the entire process public for cities to compete with each other, was brought up by Jeff Bezos, Amazon’s chief executive, who left all of the contestants uninformed until the last minute, having surprised major state leaders. 

On talking about the contest as a whole and what it would mean for the benefits of both the cities and the company, Critics such as Stacy Mitchell, co-director of the institute for Local Self-Reliance, said that politicians were “enhancing Amazon’s image” just as the company was fighting scrutiny by companies like hers, which were responsible for advocating for local businesses. The Idea Mitchell had was that the overall popularity Amazon was getting, was coming from the applicants wanting Amazon in their area. ‘Woo and grovel,’ was the way Stacy Mitchell described Cities and Political leaders, as they would be communicating an idea of a dependence or reliance from Amazon, increasing the popularity of the company.