The Burrow

Are Hot Pockets REALLY what they say they are?

Isabella Hackman, Staff Writer

Many complaints have been made within the last few years about certain foods getting recalled, but how did they get passed the FDA anyways? Well, simple…The FDA possibly cannot pay attention to ALL foods, right?

There has been many discoveries recently of ingredients in food that most likely do not belong. Hot Pockets are a microwavable sandwich that is available in many flavors and enjoyed by the general public. Since 2010, when Hot Pockets were recalled for the first time, there have been many more recall incidents.

In 2010, Mother Nature Network, a website about nutrition and food/health, posted about the “scary” ingredients list on Hot Pockets. The list included ingredients such as modified food starch, imitated mozzarella cheese, reduced iron, and natural smoke flavor.

In 2014, E! News published an article titled “Trust No Meat” dedicated to the “Philly Steak & Cheese” variety of Hot Pockets. In a statement found in the article, Nestle said, “there is diseased and unsound animals in this batch of meat, it is our fault, but it also isn’t”. 

In 2014, TIME Magazine published an article focused on the “diseased and unsound animals in the batch of meat” from the Rancho company as well.

In February 2014, ABC News4, wrote about the questionable meat, but from from a different batch of Hot Pockets than the batch described in the E! News and TIME Magazine articles. They never detailed what company the batch originated from, but they did say the contaminated Hot Pockets were being sold from Giant.

Throughout the years there have been many times that processed foods have been recalled for contaminated meats, but since the FDA and FSIS have become more strict on food and safety regulations the number of recalls has greatly decreased.

In a report from “RealFarmacy.com”, mountain oysters were being chopped up, processed,  dyed with “artificial caramel coloring”, and put into the Hot Pockets. 

People all around the United States, have spoken about how disturbing it is that companies just push these questionable meats and other processed foods out the doors without being properly examined and inspected.

Welebir Tierney, a law firm, actually sent out messages to the general public to contact them if any consumers were ill due to the consumption of the recalled Hot Pockets, so that they could sue and help fight to put more strict laws on processed foods.

Recently, the Hot Pocket recalls have slowed, but the FDA still doesn’t have the best laws for the examination and inspection of processed foods.