The Burrow

Zombies and…Twinkies?

Princess Abayomi, Staff Writer

A refreshing take on the typical undead genre, starring Jesse Eisenburg, Emma Stone, Woody Harrelson, and Abigail Breslin.

The idea of the dead being resurrected as hungry, flesh-eating monsters of their former selves has always been a topic people found to be horrifying. “Zombieland”, a quirky, fun-loving movie taking place in a post-apocalyptic world where nearly everybody has succumbed to a disease, takes this concept and puts its own little spin on it. This disease makes a person uncontrollably crave the flesh of a non-zombified human. The main character, Columbus, who is shy and modest, meets and befriends Tallahassee, who is brash, barb-tongued, and has a penchant for causing mischief in the middle of a zombie apocalypse.

The other pair of characters introduced are Wichita and Little Rock, two sisters who seem to excel at outwitting their male counterparts. Both Columbus and Tallahassee share an equal distaste for the two at first, but as the movie gradually expands the hostility between the two pairs of characters develops into care and trust.

Alongside the development of complex relationships between the characters, “Zombieland” also established the fact that they each have their own goals. However, some are reached faster than others, such as Columbus’ desire to travel back to his hometown and find out if his family is still alive. After announcing his goal, Columbus is quickly informed by Wichita that his town has been “burned to the ground”, putting an end to the search within seconds. On the other hand, we have more lighthearted goals, such as Tallahassee’s excessive desire to find a “Twinkie”: a golden sponge cake filled with a sugary sweet cream.

What the movie manages to accomplish rather impressively is the ability to find the perfect middle ground between humor and solemnity. One minute the group could be relentless, tearing apart an abandoned antique store, the next, they could be sitting around recounting the days of the past, expressing their wishes of humanity one day returning to normal. It’s these moments that make the characters feel relatable, stemming from the fact that they’re still only human.

If you’re looking for a movie with a flawless blend of emotions and actions, then look no further.