Glen Burnie High School's Student Newspaper

The Burrow

Announcements 10/5

MaryBeth Stup, Editor

From SGA: (9/11-10/6)
Hey Gopher Nation! Homecoming is right around the corner! The homecoming dance will be held on Saturday October 14th from 7:00 to 10pm at a cost of $25.00 a person or $40.00 per couple or pair.
Tickets will be on sale from Monday October 2nd through Friday October 6th or until tickets are sold out. Monday October 2nd will be for seniors only and the rest of the week will be for all students. Students, you must have textbooks and media obligations cleared before purchasing tickets for homecoming. These lists can be checked in the cafeteria during lunches this week. You will be turned away during ticket sales if you have an outstanding obligation so get them cleared today before tickets are sold. Get your ticket early and don’t miss out on this fun-filled night.
Also, if you would like to bring a guest who does not attend our school you will need to complete a Guest form which can be found at any office or from the cafeteria during lunches

From Ms. Johnson: 9/27-10/10
ATTENTION JUNIORS: NSA applications are available in Ms. Johnson office room B106. Completed applications will be due to Ms. Johnson by Friday, October 20. You must have an unweighted GPA of 2.5 or higher and will complete 3-5 business classes by the end of your junior year.

From Ms. Campasino: 10/3-10/6
Are you interested in joining a club? Looking for a volunteer opportunity? This may be the opportunity you have been looking for:
“’The mission of the American Red Cross is to prevent and alleviate human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.’ You can easily become one of those volunteers by joining the Red Cross Club! The first meeting will be on Tuesday, October 10th at 2:30pm in M220. Can’t wait for you to be a part of the team.”

From Ms. Taylor: 9/28-10/31
Attention Juniors and Seniors: If you are interested in meeting with a college representative this Fall, please sign up in Guidance or on Naviance if you have not already done so.
The colleges and universities will visit Glen Burnie High School in the Month of October:
Radford University
Towson State University
Bridgewater College
Morgan State University
Old Dominion University
UMBC
Frostburg University
Keystone College
Baldwin Wallace
Bethany College

From Ms. Mills: 10/2-10/6
This is a reminder from Ms. Mills: The SAT is this Saturday, October 7th at Glen Burnie High School. If you are registered for this test, please make sure you arrive by 7:45 a.m. Please remember to bring your admission ticket, a photo ID, 2 #2 pencils, a calculator, water, and a snack.

There is a NEW Phone and Electronic Device Policy which will be in place beginning with the SAT to be administered on October 7. Students must be aware that all cell phones and wearable technology (Smart Watches) will be collected with no questions asked and with no argument. There will be absolutely no exceptions. It would be in the best interest of students registered to take the SAT to not bring any technology, other than approved calculators, into the testing center.

Additionally, October 5th is the deadline to register for the Saturday, November 4th SAT at Glen Burnie High School. Please sign up on collegeboard.org and contact your counselor if you have questions.

From Mr. Runner: 10/5–10/13
Have ever wished you could help people recover from hurricanes, earthquakes or other natural disasters? Have you wondered who would help your community if one of these events happened here? If you have and are ready to lend a helping hand, you might be interested in completing Community Emergency Response Team training.
CERT training is a nationally recognized program to prepare volunteers, including teenagers like you, in disaster response and emergency preparedness. The training will take place at Glen Burnie High School during October and November.
This is a great opportunity for anyone considering a career in the medical field, fire department, or other emergency first responder positions. For more information, contact Mr. Runner in B101.

From Ms. Brown: 10/5-10/13 (remove each day as it passes)
Just a reminder that Spirit week is next Monday through Friday! This is when all Students and Teachers get to really show their Gopher Pride!
Monday is Maryland Monday – wear your gear to represent our great state
Tuesday is tie-dye Tuesday – mix up those colors and show them off
Wednesday is Hawaiian Day – wear your leis and keep it classy
Thursday is class colors – 9th grade is green; 10th grade – purple; 11th grade – Blue and 12th grade- Black
Friday is our pep rally and school Colors/Gopher pride Day. Wear your red and white to show your Gopher pride.
All attire MUST be in alignment with the AACPS dress code. Students will not be allowed to be in school wearing inappropriate attire.

From Ms. Addison: 10/5
The Senior Class Officer elections are over and the results are in!!!! CONGRATULATIONS to the following….

Jeremiah Thomas, President
Jasmyn Coates, Vice President
Katherine Perez, Recording Secretary
Essence Moorehead, Financial Secretary
Makenzi Groves, Treasurer
Erin Hamner, Communications Director
Kelsey Drzewicki, Events Coordinator
Historian, Melissa Bushmann

We’re looking forward to a powerful, productive and positive senior year with these officers as our leaders…

____________________________________________________________________________________