Glen Burnie High School's Student Newspaper

The Burrow

Fyre Festival: Anything But Lit

Kate Perez, Staff Writer

Attendees of the Fyre Festival were met with chaos on Saturday as the event, founded by rapper Ja Rule, was not what it was promised to be.

A Disaster from the Get-go
International travelers to the festival were attracted to the various luxurious amenities on the private island of Great Exuma, paying thousands of dollars for VIP packages that were advertised. However, once arrived customers were shocked by the condition of the site and its facilities, including “luxury villas” that in actuality were dilapidated tents that housed soggy mattresses on muddy ground. As complains began to rise, news of the cancellation of the festival caused tension among the crowd. Travel away from the island was limited due to its remote location, and many people experienced difficulty in transportation due to the festival’s promotion as a cash-free event, instead encouraging customers to upload their money to digital wristbands; this left many stranded with little money.

This image depicts the dilapidated disaster relief tents that were provided to the Fyre Festival ticket holders who paid thousands of dollars for a ticket and expected a more glamorous living situation.

False Advertisement
The Fyre Festival was popularized by multiple ads posted on several social media platforms. Promotional videos were posted by ambassadors of the so-called ‘social movement’ in early 2017 were released in efforts to attract customers, and featured models on the beaches of the supposed site of the festival. The said-ambassadors were social media and television personalities, including Kendall Jenner, Bella Hadid and Emily Ratajkowski.
Advertised as “the next Coachella,” the private-island setting with A-list celebrity appearances and all-inclusive proved worthy of the cost for customers, however a turn of events caused many to reconsider their investment.
In a reflection of the bizarre event, one festival go-er compared their experiences to that of the popular book trilogy and movie set, the Hunger Games: “The festival’s lack of adequate food, water, shelter, and medical care created a dangerous and panicked situation among attendees — suddenly finding themselves stranded on a remote island without basic provisions.” Since the event’s cancellation more complaints have arisen.

This is a picture of the tent where participants went to get there meals at the festival. The meals included two slices of bread, two slices of cheese, and a less than mediocre salad. After a couple hours the festival ran out of food and the participants where left hungry and stranded.

The Aftermath
Furious customers have taken action against Ja Rule and partners associated with the making of the disastrous festival. In addition to outrage over the environment and poor infrastructure of the site, the festival was also accused for misleading advertisements, which assured customers the appearances of several celebrities but falling short of the promise.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/05/fyre-festival-pitch-deck

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/01/526392280/fyre-festival-hit-with-100-million-suit-organizer-says-we-were-a-little-naive

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/28/entertainment/fyre-festival-disaster-trnd/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/05/02/organizers-of-the-disastrous-fyre-festival-are-now-facing-a-100-million-class-action-lawsuit/?utm_term=.c204e8e3db0b