Glen Burnie High School's Student Newspaper

The Burrow

The Biggest Bird at GBHS

+Big+Bird+%2817%29+left%2C+and+best+friend+Maggie+Albrecht+%2818%29+right%2C+after+his+game+against+Old+Mill+High+School%2C+lacrosse+season+2016.+
 Big Bird (17) left, and best friend Maggie Albrecht (18) right, after his game against Old Mill High School, lacrosse season 2016.

Glen Burnie High School senior, Timothy Maly, is better known around the school as “Big Bird”. When asked how he acquired such a nickname he replied “A middle school prank gone bad. My friend posted a picture of Big Bird on my locker, and filled my locker with glue and yellow feathers. It fell on my head and I walked around with feathers all day. That’s how the nickname was hatched”.

Facts on the Bird

Big Bird is a very active member of the GBHS community. He is involved in activities such the Student Government Association in which he serves as secretary, National Honors Society, and the Biomedical Allied Health Program advisory committee. Big Bird also plays track and field as a hurdler, and he plays lacrosse as a long stick middie.

Bird Loves His Sticks

Just like regular birds, Big Bird loves his sticks, but not an actual piece of wood, he loves his lacrosse stick. Big Bird has been playing lacrosse at GBHS for four years. He said “I played JV for my first two years and Varsity for my last two years”. Bird said he loves lacrosse because “It requires coordination, technique, and unit cohesion”. Bird has gained knowledge and skill in the sport. “When I first started playing, I had little to no experience. However with the help of my team and my coaches, I have evolved into a better player physically and mentally”.

GBHS Lax Flock

A sport’s team is a huge part of being successful and loving the game you play. When asked how Bird would describe the lacrosse team at GBHS he said “unwavering, unflinching, and resolved to perform at our greatest potential”.  To much surprise last year GBHS 2016 varsity lacrosse team set the best record in over 10 years during the GBHS vs Hammond game. Bird said it was the most “magnificent and memorable game” of his entire lacrosse experience because they had an 8 point lead. The team has had a rough couple of years because coaches keep changing and there has been little to no stable coaching to the boys on the team in the past three years. Big bird said he hopes to “Leave my mark in as many ways as possible and better the program for future successes for the new recruits”. He plans to further his skills in lacrosse when he graduates from high school and attends Stevenson University in the fall of 2017 to enter their nursing program and play for their division 3 lacrosse team.