Glen Burnie High School's Student Newspaper

The Burrow

Did the Trump Tweets Save the Office of Congressional Ethics?

Republican presidential candidate, businessman Donald Trump speaks during the Fox Business Network Republican presidential debate at the North Charleston Coliseum, Thursday, Jan. 14, 2016, in North Charleston, S.C. (AP Photo/Chuck Burton)

AP

AP

Ahamed Chowdhury, Staff Writer

On Tuesday January 3rd, the Republican party was planning on decreasing the power of the  Office of Congressional Ethics or the OCE. The OCE was created in 2008 in order to keep an eye on the Ethics Committee and prevent the House of Representatives and the Senate from passing laws that could distress the ethics of the general public. This repeal from the Republican party specifically proposed by Rep. Robert W. Goodlatte is especially interesting because it was reversed within a matter of days, in fact it was one of the fastest reversals in congressional history.

Later, president elect Donald Trump tweeted that “With all that Congress has to work on, do they really have to make the weakening of the Independent Ethics Watchdog, as unfair as it may be, their number one act and priority. Focus on tax reform, healthcare and so many other things of far greater importance! #DTS”. This tweet is sating that there is a lot of congressional work to be done and Congress shouldn’t be wasting time on less important matters such as the OCE which also correlates with his promise of  #DTS or “Drain The Swamp”.

Although many media outlets are quick to jump the headline and praise Donald Trump for the reversal of the decision it might be the media itself that actually reversed the decision and let’s not forget that many Republican leaders were also against getting rid of the OCE  including House Speaker Paul Ryan. Although it is likely Donald Trump did not single handedly reverse the Republican party’s decision he definitely had a part in the final decision.