Glen Burnie High School's Student Newspaper

The Burrow

Rams Back Home in L.A.

The St. Louis Rams return back home to L.A. in Inglewood after 21 years of absence after the franchise owners voted 30-2 in favor of returning back to their original location where the “Old L.A. Race Track is currently:” about ten miles away from downtown L.A.. The San Diego chargers now have a year-long option to combine organizations with the Rams, if they choose to decline the offer, the offer then moves to the Oakland Raiders organization. According to ESPN.com “The Raiders and Chargers submitted a competing proposal to share a new stadium in Carson, California, but that option also did not garner the 24 votes needed for approval. After another negotiating session in the afternoon, Kroenke’s $1.8 billion project prevailed.”

It seems as if the state of California is more than welcoming the Rams with open arms as the mayor of Los Angeles Eric Garcetti released a statement saying “we cannot wait to welcome the Rams, and perhaps others soon, as they join a storied lineup of professional franchises, collegiate powerhouses and sports media companies.” According to ESPN, former Rams running back Eric Dickerson went to twitter on January 12th with his opinion saying “Welcome Home! #LARams2016”

Even through all of the excitement the NFL is still taxing the team with a moving fee of $550 million. According to ESPN “Kroenke has the option to either pay that all at once or with 10 annual installments of $64 million, but a source told ESPN’s Jim Trotter that Kroenke will pay it in a lump sum.” Although when the chargers chairman Dean Spanos was asked if the team would be playing the 2016 season in there new home he responded by saying “”I’m going to take a day off tomorrow, I think,” Spanos said. “This has really been excruciating for everyone. It’s very difficult to say right now [that] I’m going to do this or do that.”