Glen Burnie High School's Student Newspaper

The Burrow

Are Sports Helping Kids?

Kaitlyn Hohn, Staff Writer

Sports socialization occurs when we learn about the skills, knowledge, and attitudes necessary for participating in sports. Although the history of beliefs about the consequences of sport participation varies by society, the notion that sport produces positive socialization effects has been widely accepted in most western industrial and postindustrial societies, especially England, Canada, and the United States. Participation in sports is associated with a range of physical, emotional, social, educational, and many other benefits. When it comes to sports, it’s more than just a game or activity; there are positive affect aspects of personal development among people such as self-esteem, goal setting, and leadership.

According to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases about one-third of children and adolescents ages 6 to 19 are considered to be overweight or obese. Obesity in the United States has doubled since 1976 so sports are a good way for kids to get exercise and have fun at the same time. Sports help kids keep their bodies healthy. They do not want to be the kid that falls behind and cannot keep up. They will form better eating habits in-season and they will be more motivated to exercise so they will not fall behind in their sport. It helps kids to work more efficiently, and feel good about themselves. The repetition of practicing a certain skill will help kids to learn ways to teach themselves how to do things and to never give up. (Jordan D. Metzl, M.D., Carol Shookhoff, Ph.D.)

Sports help kids to keep positive confident attitudes when they play sports because it helps them to play better and more efficiently. They learn quickly that if they have a positive attitude that they will get more playing time. If you have a bad attitude towards your sport and your teammates there is a good chance that you will not play. Sports also help kids to get away from their everyday stress in their lives. Focusing on a certain task keeps your mind off of things that are bothering you. In addition to stress relief, playing sports may improve self-confidence and motivation in young athletes, according to the textbook Adolescence by Joseph Santrok. Similarly, David Rocco’s Sports in Adolescence purports that team sports encourage the feelings of belonging, accomplishments, and enjoyment.

Sports help kids to interact with other kids. With boys, sports are sometimes the main source of their social network. It is proven that some boys that do not play sports have a harder time making friends. It forces kids to be around each other and learn to get along which will help them in the long run like when they get a job. Most of the time you will come out of your sport having some of the best friends you could ever ask for. Sports help with teamwork because children are taught to work together and get along. It also shows them that they will have something in common; they like the sport and they all want to win. Kids will find out fast that if they work together they are more likely to win. Being a team player is important when it comes to a sport. If you are a team player you can use it throughout your life, especially in the workforce. Sports help kids to form an identity, when you go to a high school sometimes it is hard to fit in. Sports help you to make a name for yourself in school. Kids are more likely to be friends with you if your name is known in school.