Glen Burnie High School's Student Newspaper

The Burrow

“America Horror Story” Horror?

Danielle Schmidt, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Fanatics of the horror anthology television series American Horror Story will be excited to know that the show is coming up on its sixth season which will be premiering on Wednesday, September 14, 2016. In previous years, the subtitle of the season, which reveals the new theme, has been revealed prior to the season premiere. This year, however, executive producer Ryan Murphy has invited fans to guess the theme by keeping its identity a secret… and most fans are not sure how to feel about it. 

Throughout the last few weeks, around a dozen mini-teaser videos have been released, all suggesting a different theme for the upcoming season. Such videos include a doll sitting in a child’s bedroom with an increasingly horrified expression, a group of children sitting in desks presumably in a corn field, a pitchfork being dragged through a pool of blood and across a wooden floor, and a line of spiders crawling down a naked back and entering a slit in the skin, amongst many others. It has been rumored that only one of these teasers holds the actual identity of the new season. 

The controversy surrounding the theme thickened when Rotten Tomatoes made a slip up in their creation of the upcoming season’s page. The publisher(s) included the subtitle “The Mist”, initiating an onslaught of viewer conspiracy theories mostly centered around the 2007 movie of the same name. Since the blunder from Rotten Tomatoes, the website has been altered to omit the subtitle of the 6th season but there are still screenshots of the ordeal for the skeptics out there.

Aside from the misleading trailers and the Rotten Tomatoes situation, there are many intricate fan theories that have arisen, some fueled by the past season’s focus on children and others relying on the importance of a specific place or building. Another thing that is throwing fans off their game is the intriguing sight of the series’ recurring male lead actor, Evan Peters, sporting a head of red hair.

Although the enigmatic theme has been a major place of frustration for fans, there is no doubt that viewers will be on the edge of their seats come 10:00 PM Eastern and Pacific time on September 14th