Glen Burnie High School's Student Newspaper

The Burrow

Teens: Under Pressure

Cheyenne Grieves

Too many responsibilities forced onto teenagers at school, home, and work can cause teens to feel under pressure. “Many parents worry that if they don’t enroll their kids in a lot of extracurricular activities, their children will be missing out or be left behind.” But by doing that, the adults aren’t giving the kids time to just relax. There are many articles about how teens are stressed because their parents want them to do well in school and have a social life (therefore signing them up for sports, etc.) But not many know about how some teens have to act as the adult in the family a lot of the time. For example, cleaning the house and watching younger siblings. That on top of everything teenagers have to do for school (homework, projects, studying) is a ton of weight that is put on the teen’s shoulders.

These responsibilities can cause health problems among the teens like stress, anxiety, depression, illness, and shorter lifespans. Not only can they cause health problems, but they can also cause other problems as well. Teenagers can suffer from low self-esteem because no matter what they do and how hard they try they will never meet the standards that the parents set. Also, the teen won’t have time for a social life outside the house and school because they are always busy doing something. This can affect the development of social skills. “Many times when a teenager is expected to care for younger siblings and essentially perform the role of a parent, they can become resentful and angry at their parents and their siblings for putting them in this situation.”

American teenagers are the country’s most stressed generation. According to APA’s 2013 Stress in America Survey teenagers rated their stress a 5.8 on a scale of 1 to 10 while adults only rated theirs a 5.1 on the scale. The results of the survey are that 31% of teens feel overwhelmed, 30% feel depressed, and 36% feel fatigued. Teen stress levels have increased rather than decreased. Too much responsibility is too much pressure, and too much pressure is too much stress.